This weekend is ex-Cadet weekend at Royal Military College. It's like Homecoming at Queens University, but without the drunken students and 400 cops in riot gear. During a ceremony on the parade square this morning, there was to be a fly over of WWII planes, and a restored F86 Sabre, but the old birds never showed up. I hope to see them at our local airport tomorrow before they fly out.
I was on the ferry dock waiting for the fly over for about two hours, as were a few other guys. There was one gentleman in his 80s, who was a bomb aimer on Lancasters 1943-1945, and a man in his 60s who spent 32 years in the infantry and said he had no war stories to tell. There was another man in his 60s who spent 30 years working in Ottawa before moving to Wolfe Island in '98, and a lad in his early 50s who is ex-airforce and now flies 777s for Cathay Pacific Airlines out of Hong Kong, but has property on the island. It was a hell of a nice way to spend a sunny morning near the water.
The islander who moved from Ottawa raises Samoyeds, and I took a shot of them waiting for a treat, hanging out of the back of his car. There are five dogs, look closely :-)
A small contingent of security motoring past RMC.
A couple of random shots of a C-130, maybe?
And finally, the F86, restored to the colours of the Golden Hawks (1959-1963), the forerunners to the Snowbirds.
- ► 2010 (316)
- A use for rainy days
- More photos from the road
- Rooms with a view of the road, no rest for the rus...
- Trucks drive me to distraction
- Night things
- Late afternoon, early fall
- 1095 X 2, 1843 X 3
- A kiss and an orange door
- Slide rules and bathing outdoors
- Warning! Orange cones! Invisible fire truck! James...
- Wooden head, aluminum bones
- Contrails and bathroom boobies
- For the amusement: park
- Time to laugh, dance and play
- Stone, glass and the girls in my owntown.
- Stones, street, 'stang and stack
- I prefer surrealism over realism.
- I like windows
- Ghosts of fountains present
- Twenty blocks of boredom Part II
- Twenty blocks of boredom Part I
- Rock the fake legs and red wall
- So, it's Monday again.
- No mail, no traffic, no peeking.
- No one reads this, but whatever..
- If you accept a penny for your thoughts, will the ...
- ▼ October (28)