Street photos...

6.23.2009

Life amidst the contamination

A Great Blue Heron

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Uninteresting foliage, but I liked the shadow and light from the low sun on the oil tank.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This sign warns you to keep out, but there is no gate, just fencing sections placed to keep out vehicles. I am quite certain people do go in here. From the late 1880s until 1973 this was the site of a lead smelter and a leather tannery, so the ground is very contaminated. The owners abandoned it in the 80s, and the city owned it until 2007, transferring ownership to the company named on the sign. I had no desire to go in there.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

4 comments:

  1. Must cost a lot to reclaim it eh? In our city we have only one lot that used to belong to Esso and it's still empty.
    All the others became car rental sites and parking lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a lot of industry along the river and lake, Kate. There has been a hell of a lot of cleanup over the years, mostly paid for by the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I miss about not being in Florida any longer is, the bird life...blue herons in particular. I am surprised that they are that far north. They are such gorgeous creatures...especially when they take off and slowly flap for altitude.

    Does it make you wonder about what polluted sites are NOT know. It does me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jj, I spent some time at a park today that was a former landfill site, but the marsh is still intact, and I saw several herons taking off. Too damn quick for me to get a shot, dammit.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive